Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Good Name

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold." [Proverbs 22:1]


This verse is very convicting. 


First, gold and silver, great riches are very easy to gain in comparison with a good name. Once a good name is lost, it is extremely hard to regain it. Whereas, if you lose your possessions, your riches, you can gain them again by hard work and ingenuity. This is not true of a good name. It is extremely hard to regain trust among your brethren. Therefore, a good name is better than great riches. 


Second, this passage has a double meaning for me. The one above is excellent; however, I apply it to my relationship with God. By professing the name of Jesus Christ, we attribute what we say, what we do, what we think, to our Lord. It is as if we are saying, "What I just said, what I just did, what I just thought, all of it, is what Christ would have said, thought, and done." That is very scary. We are representing the name of Jesus Christ. 


I feel that so often I dishonor God's good name with my much speaking, with my great pride, with my heart of idolatry. I continually attribute my life of sin to the God of glory by professing His name. I tarnish God's reputation among the heathen that know not God by my great wickedness. I give great occasion for the Lord's name to be trampled under foot by Satan and all his children. 


We need to beware. We will some day give an account for every idle word that proceedeth out of our mouths. We often speak out of what fills our heart. In the gospel of Mark, it says, "Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts." "Watch over your heart with all diligence for out of it flow the issues of life." We need to guard our lips, our heart, our mind. Proverbs, in another place, tells us to put a knife to our throat when we stand before a king. Beloved, we are standing before the awesome presence of our Lord continually. He is everywhere present. Read Psalm 139. 


So, beloved, we need to guard with all diligence our heart so our Lord's name is not dishonored. We need to be jealous for our Lord's name. Let us resolve together to honor God's name in thought, word, and deed. Let us resolve to live Coram Deo, before the face of God. Let us resolve to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. 


Let us implore the Lord's help and protect the good name of the Lord that we profess. 


The Lord be with all of you.


Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment